Charity bike ride success for Whimple fundraiser
- Credit: Archant
Andi Darbey and her friends surpassed their fundraising target by more than £1,000 after bike ride around London
A Whimple woman and a group of her friends have raised almost £3,800 towards cancer research, by cycling 100km around the streets of London.
Andi Darbey and her group took part in Women v Cancer Ride The Night on Saturday, May 25.
They had expected to raise around £2,500 but surpassed it by an amazing £1,300 - including £50 that was handed to them by the driver of a car passing the ride. The total amount raised by the event was £550,000, which will go towards research into cancers affecting women.
Police dog handler Andi has beaten breast cancer herself and firmly believes she owes her life to the research that made her treatment possible. She is a keen cyclist who carried out the ride on a tandem.
You may also want to watch:
"The atmosphere was great and at times a bit emotional," she said. "We started around 10.30pm and returned by 4.30am. In the end I think we were the only tandem too! In fact out of the six of us that took part, four signed up for next year straight away."
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 9 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis