Chemical spill road has reopened
Highways officials say work to clear lime from the Musbury to Whitford road has been completed
UPDATE 5.50pm: The road between Musbury and Whitford is now open.
UPDATE 4.30pm: The road between Musbury and Whitford - closed earlier today (Wednesday) following a large spillage of lime - is expected to reopen shortly, highways officials told The Herald at 4.30pm.
A spokesman said the hope was that the route would be clear by some time this evening.
Around a two to three-mile stretch of the Whitford Road was affected by the chemical leak and highways teams had to work quickly after fears the wind could blow it into the nearby River Axe.
You may also want to watch:
It is not yet known whether any pollution of the waterway has occurred.
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 7 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 8 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 9 Holocaust Memorial Day to be marked in virtual ceremony
- 10 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone