Chip lovers are being urged to take extra care when they indulge in one of the nations favourite foods - chips. Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service has issued the warning to coincide with National Chip Week. Figures for 2010\/11 show 5.5 per cent of all accidental dwelling fires were caused by chip pan or deep fat fryers, but 27 per cent of casualties were chip pan related. From the chip shop to the kitchen table, chips will quite rightly be on the menu this week, says Fire Investigation Officer, Mike Burroughs. But the smallest distraction when using a hot chip pan could lead to a fire in a matter of moments. Oven chips are a safer and healthier way to enjoy your favourite, but if you do choose to deep fat fry please dont leave the pan unattended. If your pan does catch light, dont throw water over it get out, stay out and call 999. Residents are urged to ensure they do not overfill a chip pan with oil and make sure the oil does not over heat as this can cause it to ignite. In the event of a fire have an escape route in place and dont take risks by tackling the fire. Mr Burroughs added: Repeatedly attending fires and seeing people make the same mistakes, places a responsibility on us to communicate the risk of death and injury. We hope that by encouraging people to take due care and attention with chip pans, we will start to see a reduction in these preventable accidents.