Chip lovers are urged to take extra care when cooking one of the nations favourite foods. To coincide with National Chip Week, which starts today (Monday), Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service has issued some safety advice. Fire Investigation Officer, Mike Burroughs, said: From the chip shop to the kitchen table, chips will quite rightly be on the menu this week. But the smallest distraction when using a hot chip pan could lead to a fire in a matter of moments. Oven chips are a safer and healthier way to enjoy your favourite, but if you do choose to deep fat fry please dont leave the pan unattended. If your pan does catch light, dont throw water over it get out, stay out and call 999. The fire service has issued the following safety tips: Do not overfill a chip pan with oil never fill it more than one-third full Be careful it does not overheat as hot oil can catch fire easily Use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure the fat does not get too hot Never throw water on a chip pan fire Do not cook after drinking alcohol In the event of a fire have an escape route in place Do not take risks by tackling a fire. Get out, stay out and call 999 Get a smoke alarm and test it regularly Mr Burroughs added: Repeatedly attending fires and seeing people make the same mistakes, places a responsibility on us to communicate the risk of death and injury. We hope that by encouraging people to take due care and attention with chip pans, we will start to see a reduction in these preventable accidents.