Christians are not immune to the world around them
‘I’m still looking for presents’.
This close to Christmas, I’m sure everything should be done and this Thought should be a gentle and genial reflection on the warmth and wonder of the season.
But, as usual, I’m still looking for presents, writing sermons and trying to fit lots into a busy schedule. I’m not feeling terribly warm and ‘Christmassy’.
But that’s OK. Jesus never said “you must always have a warm glow and have an inane smile plastered on your face”.
He promised to be with us always and that if we allow him to he will give us peace ‘that passes all understanding’ – but he never told his followers: “Don’t worry, be happy.”
You may also want to watch:
Christians aren’t immune to the world around or deaf to those for whom life isn’t good. The Bible says: “weep with those who weep, rejoice with those who rejoice.” Next week I’ll be rejoicing, for now there’s work to be done.
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 7 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 8 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 9 Holocaust Memorial Day to be marked in virtual ceremony
- 10 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone