Christmas theft warning
Devon residents are being warned to be vigilant this Christmas and protect their homes against opportunistic burglars.
DEVON residents are being warned to keep their homes under wraps when stocking up this Christmas as part of a new police campaign.
The police are urging people to be vigilant against opportunistic burglars and that any presents on show in their homes can be a target for criminals.
Residents should ensure their doors and windows are locked and secure, and presents and valuables are kept out of sight.
Bob Bunney, Force Crime Reduction Advisor, said: “Burglary in Devon and Cornwall is low compared to other areas of the country but the risk of this type of crime traditionally peaks around Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
“The majority of burglaries are caused by opportunists who steal from homes where windows are left open or doors are left either open or unlocked.
“To avoid the consequences of becoming a victim of crime during this traditionally vulnerable time we would urge everyone to think about the risks and remain vigilant.”
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 Hourly weekday services resume on East Devon rail link
- 3 School old boy went above and beyond call of duty to honour ware heroes
- 4 Have your say on future development of village
- 5 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 6 Mark thanks Scouts for helping in the battle to beat polio
- 7 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 8 End of online meetings leaves councils with a dilemma
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Big-hearted trio smash fundraising target for animal sanctuary
Gifts and valuables can also be security marked with your postcode and house number.
These items can be registered for free on www.immobilise.com, which allows police to identify the owner of valuables if they are stolen.
Ensure that boxes and packaging from expensive presents are disposed of carefully and not left on show outside of the house.