PUBLISHED: 02:01 06 August 2008 | UPDATED: 22:09 15 June 2010
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 6: SOME Axminster residents are angry their bins have not been emptied at the start of a new recycling scheme. East Devon District Council's new service was launched on Monday across the Axe valley, but confused residents were still expecting their landfill
SOME Axminster residents are angry their bins have not been emptied at the start of a new recycling scheme.East Devon District Council's new service was launched on Monday across the Axe valley, but confused residents were still expecting their landfill waste to be collected.Barbara Nevitt, from Old North Street, said: "It makes me very angry. The communication has been extremely poor and we have all got sacks of rubbish."I spent 20 minutes waiting to speak to someone at EDDC, and when I did they were unable to offer a reasonable explanation."David Lawrence, of Lea Coomb, felt they had been misled by a number of letters. He said: "If EDDC had simply said there would be no collection for the area on August 4, then everybody would have known where they stood."When I tried to ring them, the phone was engaged for 40 minutes and then there was a long wait before anybody answered."A spokesman for EDDC said the new system was a huge logistical change and involved the coming together of the council and its customers.He said: "We ensured that explanatory leaflets were delivered to every household. "Despite this, with such a big change to established routines, there will always be teething problems in the initial stages."This has proved to be the case and it would be fair to say the fortnightly collection for landfill waste in the Axminster area has been problematical."He said residents put out landfill waste for collection on Monday, August 4, when it was due for collection on Monday, August 11.Residents are being asked to take their waste back and place it out again for collection again on August 11. Additional waste will be collected on this date only.He added: "We know many people have been phoning us to check progress with the new collections. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience they may have experienced and to thank them for their patience. "We hope and expect the system will settle down in the near future.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.