College musicians hit a high note with their new grand piano
- Credit: Archant
It was a grand performance – in every sense – when students and staff presented ‘A Chamber Music Recital’ at The Axe Valley Community College.
To celebrate the arrival of their new piano – a gift from the town’s parish church - they presented a mainly classical repertoire of instrumental and vocal solos, duets and a couple of pieces for the string orchestra and chamber choir. It included music by Mozart, Handel, Vaughan Williams and Satie among many others.
Pride of place went to their grand piano, a new fixture for the main hall, which had previously belonged to The Minster.
The college is extremely grateful to both the Reverend John Streeting and the Axminster Care Service (ACS) for their support and generosity in providing it.
Mr Jonathan Jevons, head of music, offered congratulations to those who took part.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “All of the students who participated performed extremely well.
“Some of the music was very technically demanding but was performed with great panache, style and expression.”
- 1 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 2 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 5 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 9 Rural Proofing response will be guided by Labour’s motion says Cabinet at Devon County Council
- 10 How you can help your children keep up with studying
His special thanks also went to staff members Jenny Maby, Yvonne Ashby, Louise Elliott, Margarethe Stuttaford and Amanda McDonagh.
Martin Smith, headteacher, said: “We are delighted with the new grand piano.
“It enables the music department to widen the repertoire of high quality musical events.
“An enormous thank you to Mr Streeting and the trustees of Axminster Care Service for their generous support.”