Colyton historian’s new school project
Pupils hear about their school’s past
LOCAL historian Colin Pady told Colyton Grammar School pupils about his latest project.
He is studying the origins of the school and the role the Feoffees played in building the town’s original school house in the early 17th century.
The highlight of the visit for students was seeing the original accounts ledger from 1612 which details the individual building costs in shillings and pennies.
Unlike modern construction projects, Mr Pady explained that all the building materials for the original school house had been supplied from within a seven mile radius of the town.
Mr Pady’s work will link with a major exhibition that is being staged in Colyton next February.
- 1 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 2 Seaton's 'Hub Elves' replace loneliness with Christmas cheer
- 3 Grants for energy efficiency improvements available for residents
- 4 Where to see Santa in the Seaton area this Christmas
- 5 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 6 Green team monitor water quality levels after pollution fears
- 7 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route
- 8 'Fantastic' news on Honiton loos: King Street toilets to stay open
- 9 7 cosiest pubs in East Devon
- 10 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth