Colyton’s oldest resident is 103
Sweet-toothed Elsie Martin reckons a toffee - or two - a day is a recipe for a long life
COLYTON’S oldest resident revealed the secret of her long life when she celebrated her 103rd birthday last week – a good toffee.
Elsie Martin is such a Werther’s fan the German sweet company sent her a complimentary pack to mark her special anniversary.
And there was a glass of champagne to help her wash them down when staff at Doveridge Care Home threw a party to mark her big day.
Friends and relatives - including great niece Cheryl Quick - travelled from as far as Wales to congratulate Elsie, who was born and spent her whole life in Colyton, working as a carer for many years.
Doveridge manager Amy Burt said their star resident had a great day meeting up with her many friends.
She said: “Elsie loves her toffees and has several every day. She also enjoys the occasional sherry and likes to entertain us with her singing and stories about things that happened long ago. She is so knowledgeable. She is always happy and is a very special lady to all of us.”
- 1 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 2 River Cottage Kitchen now open again at out-of-town HQ
- 3 Pub of the year Axminster Inn crowned
- 4 Axminster Queens Jubilee events
- 5 Honiton author release new sci-fi drama book
- 6 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 7 Date reportedly set for Tiverton and Honiton by-election
- 8 Aldi to take over Co-op site in Seaton
- 9 Talaton gardens re-opens for the summer
- 10 Gang responsible for bringing a kilo of drugs into Devon jailed for 23 years
Earlier this year long-widowed Elsie, who had no children, became an internet star.
She can be seen singing, with fellow guests, to celebrate when Doveridge was voted best small care home in the south west.
See it at: