Colyton’s oldest resident is 103
Sweet-toothed Elsie Martin reckons a toffee - or two - a day is a recipe for a long life
COLYTON’S oldest resident revealed the secret of her long life when she celebrated her 103rd birthday last week – a good toffee.
Elsie Martin is such a Werther’s fan the German sweet company sent her a complimentary pack to mark her special anniversary.
And there was a glass of champagne to help her wash them down when staff at Doveridge Care Home threw a party to mark her big day.
Friends and relatives - including great niece Cheryl Quick - travelled from as far as Wales to congratulate Elsie, who was born and spent her whole life in Colyton, working as a carer for many years.
You may also want to watch:
Doveridge manager Amy Burt said their star resident had a great day meeting up with her many friends.
She said: “Elsie loves her toffees and has several every day. She also enjoys the occasional sherry and likes to entertain us with her singing and stories about things that happened long ago. She is so knowledgeable. She is always happy and is a very special lady to all of us.”
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 8 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 9 The US Open: part two
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
Earlier this year long-widowed Elsie, who had no children, became an internet star.
She can be seen singing, with fellow guests, to celebrate when Doveridge was voted best small care home in the south west.
See it at: