Colyton tops rural crime chart for May
Burglaries, criminal damage, assaults and a sex pest kept rural police busy last month
CRIME figures in rural communities around Seaton showed a small annual increase last month.
There were 12 reported incidents in May – just one more than in the same period the previous year.
But the figures were considerably up – more than double – on this April’s total of just six.
Colyton was the crime hotspot, accounting for more than half the recoded incidents.
These included complaints about sex pest phone calls and texts to a local woman, a burglary in Swan Hill and an assault following a dispute between two neighbours.
There were also two cases of criminal damage – to a car at Courtenay Drive and a wall at the medical centre – and a 22-year-old local man was given an �80 fixed penalty for being drunk and disorderly
- 1 Landlord jailed for 'groping barmaids' trying to stuff wages down their tops
- 2 New Repair Cafe to open in Honiton next month
- 3 Neil Parish wont stand in Honiton and Tiverton by-election
- 4 'Something for everyone' as Axe Vale Show returns to Axminster
- 5 New unit to be built opposite Hangar two at Dunkeswell Airfield
- 6 Pub organises fundraising gigs for Ukraine
- 7 Town council explores best way forward for the Beehive
- 8 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 9 Axminster Queens Jubilee events
- 10 Pub of the year Axminster Inn crowned
Currently police are investigating a complaint of an assault which is alleged to have taken place during a football match at the Peace memorial playing fields.
At Axmouth business premises at the Harbour were broken into and a white Peugeot van was stolen. It was later found burnt in Northleigh.
At Beer a window was broken at a property in Underleys and a purse was stolen from a handbag on the beach.
At Branscombe a number of garages in the centre of the village were broken into and items of gardening equipment, tools and a red Honda Quad bike, registration number WA03 VUP, were stolen. An outbuilding in the centre was also broken into and a green Yamaha quad bike registration WA07 RFZ was stolen.
At Rousdon and Combpyne a mobile phone was stolen during a house party.
No crimes were recorded at Axmouth, Farway, Northleigh and Southleigh.
Anyone with information about any of the crimes is asked to get in touch with Seaton Police Station on 08452 777 444 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111
Neighbourhood beat manager, PC Steve Speariett added: “If you see any suspicious vehicles or people please call in with the information using the 999 system when appropriate.”