Colyton tops rural crime chart for May
Burglaries, criminal damage, assaults and a sex pest kept rural police busy last month
CRIME figures in rural communities around Seaton showed a small annual increase last month.
There were 12 reported incidents in May – just one more than in the same period the previous year.
But the figures were considerably up – more than double – on this April’s total of just six.
Colyton was the crime hotspot, accounting for more than half the recoded incidents.
You may also want to watch:
These included complaints about sex pest phone calls and texts to a local woman, a burglary in Swan Hill and an assault following a dispute between two neighbours.
There were also two cases of criminal damage – to a car at Courtenay Drive and a wall at the medical centre – and a 22-year-old local man was given an �80 fixed penalty for being drunk and disorderly
- 1 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 2 Double-header for Honiton juniors against Cullompton
- 3 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 4 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 5 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 6 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 7 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 8 Local Football Results
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 'We have to look forward and make Jurassic Centre success it deserves to be'
Currently police are investigating a complaint of an assault which is alleged to have taken place during a football match at the Peace memorial playing fields.
At Axmouth business premises at the Harbour were broken into and a white Peugeot van was stolen. It was later found burnt in Northleigh.
At Beer a window was broken at a property in Underleys and a purse was stolen from a handbag on the beach.
At Branscombe a number of garages in the centre of the village were broken into and items of gardening equipment, tools and a red Honda Quad bike, registration number WA03 VUP, were stolen. An outbuilding in the centre was also broken into and a green Yamaha quad bike registration WA07 RFZ was stolen.
At Rousdon and Combpyne a mobile phone was stolen during a house party.
No crimes were recorded at Axmouth, Farway, Northleigh and Southleigh.
Anyone with information about any of the crimes is asked to get in touch with Seaton Police Station on 08452 777 444 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111
Neighbourhood beat manager, PC Steve Speariett added: “If you see any suspicious vehicles or people please call in with the information using the 999 system when appropriate.”