Community centre: Three options for new site
Briefing paper sets out possibilities for development on car park next to Honiton Magistrates’ Court.
A BRIEFING paper, circulated to councillors ahead of an extraordinary meeting of Honiton Town Council, sets out three possible options for the development of a community centre next to the magistrates’ court.
One of the options is to build the centre as previously outlined at a cost of �1.812m.
Two cheaper options have also been put forward. One is to build office facilities first, as phase one, at a cost of �1.144m, and the other is to build the shell of the building for �1.185m and fit out the second floor, lift and stairs in a second phase.
The briefing paper recommends the �1.185 million option, which will require maximum borrowing of �600,000.
You may also want to watch:
It is understood the council is likely to ask East Devon District Council why its offer of the car park site is not on a freehold basis.
If the option is adopted, more talks will take place with community groups.
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 Hourly weekday services resume on East Devon rail link
- 3 School old boy went above and beyond call of duty to honour ware heroes
- 4 Have your say on future development of village
- 5 Mark thanks Scouts for helping in the battle to beat polio
- 6 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 7 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 End of online meetings leaves councils with a dilemma
- 10 Firefighters ask farmers to be on guard after spate of blazes