Community centre: Three options for new site
Briefing paper sets out possibilities for development on car park next to Honiton Magistrates’ Court.
A BRIEFING paper, circulated to councillors ahead of an extraordinary meeting of Honiton Town Council, sets out three possible options for the development of a community centre next to the magistrates’ court.
One of the options is to build the centre as previously outlined at a cost of �1.812m.
Two cheaper options have also been put forward. One is to build office facilities first, as phase one, at a cost of �1.144m, and the other is to build the shell of the building for �1.185m and fit out the second floor, lift and stairs in a second phase.
The briefing paper recommends the �1.185 million option, which will require maximum borrowing of �600,000.
You may also want to watch:
It is understood the council is likely to ask East Devon District Council why its offer of the car park site is not on a freehold basis.
If the option is adopted, more talks will take place with community groups.
- 1 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 2 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 3 Jo’s family go the distance to support cancer charity
- 4 Sky's the limit for popular artist as new exhibition opens
- 5 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 6 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 7 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 8 Double-header for Honiton juniors against Cullompton
- 9 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 10 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure