Community groups offered share of �40,000 to mark Fairtrade Fortnight
The Co-operative Group is hoping to make Fairtrade Fortnight 2010 the biggest and best ever in the South West.
The Co-operative Group is hoping to make Fairtrade Fortnight 2010 the biggest and best ever in the South West. It is offering a total of �40,000 to community groups to ensure their Fairtrade events such as fashion shows, coffee mornings and wine tastings are a great success.
The consumer-owned retailer has been a strong supporter of the Fairtrade movement for many years, since becoming the first high street retailer to list Cafedirect back in 1992. Now The Co-operative stocks the widest range of Fairtrade grocery products of any UK supermarket with 230 different lines.
To mark its support for Fairtrade Fortnight (22 February - 7 March 2010) and its ethical approach to business, The Co-operative's membership department will share out a pot of �50,000 to community groups from Worcester to Wadebridge and Portsmouth to Portishead, to ensure their 2010 Fairtrade Fortnight celebrations are the best ever.
Co-operative and membership officer Pete Vallance said: "As the UK's largest mutual retailer, we have been at the forefront of developing Fairtrade products and promoting the principles of Fairtrade. Our sales figures show how important Fairtrade is to our customers and, thanks to their continued support, we can ensure a better deal for growers in developing countries whose families can also look forward to a better future.
You may also want to watch:
"This year, we are particularly pleased to be able to offer community groups throughout the South West a helping hand in making 2010 their best Fairtrade Fortnight ever. So if they're organising events to raise the awareness of the support given to developing countries through Fairtrade, we look forward to hearing from them."
To apply for a Fairtrade Fortnight 2010 grant please visit: www.co-operative.coop/membership/news/South-West/ or telephone the regional office on 01884 266892. The closing date for applications is 13 January 2010.
- 1 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 2 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
- 3 Motorists urged: park sensibly, don't drive Devon residents mad
- 4 Hill climbs to the top on Captain’s Day
- 5 Lions help enthusiastic work skills group
- 6 East Devon councillor resigns to focus on his business interests
- 7 Walkies! Heath team offers summer advice for dog owners
- 8 Your chance to be crowned top artist
- 9 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
- 10 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed