Controversial Jurassic sculptures are making waves

PUBLISHED: 16:33 04 March 2015

The proposed Seaton Waves scupture

The proposed Seaton Waves scupture

Archant

Public invited to have their say on Seaton’s proposed seafront installations

Nearly 200 residents took the opportunity to have their say about the controversial Jurassic Wave sculptures planned for Seaton seafront over the weekend.

The project team for Seaton Jurassic – including East Devon District Council and Devon Wildlife Trust – were out during Grizfest to hear people’s views on the proposed new installations for Fisherman’s Gap.

If approved, they will form one of four new information/meeting points to encourage visitors to Seaton Jurassic to explore the landscape and the Jurassic Coast.

The other locations are Seaton Wetlands, Axmouth Harbour and Seaton Hole. The information/meeting points are designed to provide a ‘recognisable and memorable’ focal point for events and activities and will include interpretation pillars of a uniform design reflecting the Jurassic, Triassic and Cretaceous eras.

Last month East Devon’s development management committee (DMC) asked for further public consultation on the proposed ‘waves’ structure, which will be made of tough stainless steel with reflective qualities allowing the sea to reflect the sky. Designers say the open structure of the waves means the view is not obscured and any storm waves can pass through them with minimal resistance.

Councillor Ian Thomas, chairman of the Seaton Regeneration Board, said: “It is important that we go back to DMC with the views of a wide range of people – locals and visitors.

“With so many people in Seaton this weekend, it was the ideal opportunity to find out people’s views on this particular information/meeting point.

“The waves at Fisherman’s Gap will be an exciting addition to Seaton, creating a gateway to both the sea and the town.”

A spokesman for the district council told the Herald they would be analysing the results of Saturday’s consultation before reporting back to the DMC which will make its decision on Tuesday, March 31.

People can still comment on the proposal through the planning portal on the council’s website.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald