Cranbrook pooch on the road to recovery after ingesting nasty mystery substance in town’s country park

PUBLISHED: 12:00 21 September 2018 | UPDATED: 12:33 21 September 2018

Einstein fell severely ill after ingesting an unknown toxic substance in Cranbrook's country park. Photo: Samantha Thompson

Einstein fell severely ill after ingesting an unknown toxic substance in Cranbrook's country park. Photo: Samantha Thompson

Archant

A Cranbrook dog owner is warning against leaving litter in the town’s country park after her beloved pet became violently ill after ingesting an unknown substance.

Einstein, an eleven-and-a-half year old Labrador x Dalmatian, snaffled up the mystery substance while on his regular walk with his owner, Samantha Thompson, on September 9.

Later that afternoon, Samantha, who lives in Alma Villa Rise with her husband Ross and teenaged son, said Einstein was suffering from severe digestive problems and ‘wasn’t himself’.

She added: “When I came home, he had been violently sick.

“He had been really poorly - to the extent that we had to take him to our vets in Cullompton.

“We were not sure what Einstein had ingested - whether it was poison, something that had been planted or some leftover food which had gone off.

“He has never been ill before and we regularly walk in that spot.”

Samantha was given a large amount of gastro medication to treat Einstein, whose condition had deteriorated significantly since coming home from his walk.

She said: “He was completely lifeless.

“He has lost three kilogrammes, which is quite a lot for a dog of his age.

“There were times where we thought he would not pull through.

“We were up in the night and had to sleep with him in the conservatory.”

Luckily for Samantha, Einstein - who is best buddies with her 14-year-old son Connor - pulled through.

Last week went on his first couple of walks as he continues his road to full recovery.

Now, Samantha is sharing her story as a way to raise awareness of the impact of littering in places such as Cranbrook’s country park.

She said: “The folk of Cranbrook have been so kind compassionate with their messages and visits.

“I think this was a one-off. I am definitely being more careful with him and making sure he does not near that area he went to before he fell ill.

“He has started to get his energy back from Monday (September 17) onwards.

“I would ask residents to be mindful when leaving any food around or anything dogs can ingest, and make sure they pick up after their dogs.

“I know that children have fallen over and cut themselves and then landed in dog mess.

“There are all sorts of conditions you can get with that.”

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Midweek Herald

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists