Howzat! Son of legendary cricket commentator at East Devon Lunch Club!
- Credit: Archant
East Devon Luncheon Club welcomed Barry Johnston, son of legendary cricketing commentator Brian Johnston, to its last meeting of the year.
The gathering took place at Sidmouth’s Victoria Hotel just ahead of the Government’s new coronavirus restrictions.
Mr Johnston gave an illuminating talk about his father and his many exploits growing up, during the war and then as a commentator for the BBC for nearly 50 years.
Club chairman Simon Card said: “We are very fortunate to have had many great talks at the club but this certainly ranked near the top.
“Barry could have entertained us for hours and our members and guests laughed a great deal during the talk, most remembering Brian’s unique style and commentary on TV and radio.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a fitting end to this year’s season, particularly given the serious situation we find ourselves in with the present Covid 19 virus - it was wonderful light relief.”
Mr Card also spoke of the ‘incredible customer service’ provided by the Victoria Hotel staff, given the dramatic last minute falloff in numbers attending.
- 1 Rogue builder jailed for ripping off Honiton customers
- 2 Thug jailed for violent bottle attack at Seaton Tesco
- 3 Wedding venue team goes extra mile for customers
- 4 Community group invites people to volunteers fayre
- 5 Cafe boss bounces back after adapting to impact of virus
- 6 Honiton Rugby Club recruitment day
- 7 Benefit cheat 'too disabled to move' filmed shopping in Axminster
- 8 Property of the Week: Combpyne Road, Musbury, Axminster
- 9 Flying start for the Axminster Tigers
- 10 Tories' approach to councillor checks could fuel hysteria
He said: “We fully understood why many of our members and guests decided not to attend at the last minute but the hotel staff went to incredible lengths to rearrange everything in the short time before the meal was due to commence to make our last lunch of the season successful.
“I think we should all celebrate the end of this dreadful virus at the Victoria Hote - whenever that is!”
Barry Johnston signed copies of his book after the luncheon for members and guests.