Criminals want your DNA
Police issue warning to Honiton residents following the discovery of a health scam.
YOUR DNA is the target of a new scam by tricksters operating in the Honiton area.
Police issued a warning after a local resident was sent a DNA kit from a someone posing as a representative of DNA Technologies.
It is claimed the kit will give customers an opportunity to discover if future health risks are hidden in their genetic make-up.
The kits are charged at a one-off price of �29.99.
“This is a scam,” said a police spokeswoman. “The company will not only have your personal information and credit card details, but your DNA - if you send this off.
There is a legitimate company trading under the name of DNA Technologies, which is not involved in the scam.
- 1 Policing activity in Honiton, Axminster and Colyford
- 2 A site for sore eyes
- 3 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 4 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 5 Devon model railway manufacturer expands factory space to keep up with demand
- 6 Candidates sought to stand as new town councillors
- 7 Honiton runners in the Sir Walter Raleigh Trail
- 8 Cars targeted by arsonist in Honiton
- 9 Record level of police numbers will soon have a positive effect on our communities
- 10 Five-year-old girl dies after road accident near Honiton
Police are advising residents to shred the letters.