Criminals want your DNA
Police issue warning to Honiton residents following the discovery of a health scam.
YOUR DNA is the target of a new scam by tricksters operating in the Honiton area.
Police issued a warning after a local resident was sent a DNA kit from a someone posing as a representative of DNA Technologies.
It is claimed the kit will give customers an opportunity to discover if future health risks are hidden in their genetic make-up.
The kits are charged at a one-off price of �29.99.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a scam,” said a police spokeswoman. “The company will not only have your personal information and credit card details, but your DNA - if you send this off.
There is a legitimate company trading under the name of DNA Technologies, which is not involved in the scam.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Long wait over as Honiton allotments are handed over to residents
- 3 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Backing for plan to launch parkruns for young athletes
- 6 Mum and daughter to have their hair chopped for charity
- 7 Talk of a high-wage economy will not amuse those on low incomes
- 8 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 9 Property of the Week: Marcella House, Kilmington
- 10 Seaton tourist attraction to stay closed to the public
Police are advising residents to shred the letters.