Fools and Horses star opens Lyme Lifeboat Week
- Credit: Archant
Huge crowds packed Lyme Regis for the start of the town’s annual lifeboat week on Saturday.
A major attraction on the opening day was the appearance of actor John Challis - Boycie in Only Fools and Horses - who officially opened the event before greeting long queues of people asking him to sign his autobiography.
Another major event was the welcome display by the Lyme Regis inshore lifeboat, Spirit of Loch Fyne, the all weather lifeboat from Exmouth and the coastguard helicopter from St Athan, South Wales.
Belly dancing from the Easter Promise group, an art exhibition and a display by members of the Weymouth and Portland Model Boat Club also attracted admiring audiences.
Lifeboat week continues this week with a mix of events for all ages including the bath tub race, tug-of-war across the harbour mouth and the spectacular Army parachute display team The Red Devils.
You may also want to watch:
Lifeboat Week is organised by local volunteer RNLI fundraisers, the Lyme Regis and Charmouth Lifeboat Supporters, with help from the lifeboat crew.
For full details of all the events pick up a programme from one of the many local outlets..
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 5 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 6 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 7 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 8 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 9 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 10 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West