Depression led Glyn to write his first book.
A first-time author from Honiton prepares to launch his debut novel - Sanctuary.
A Honiton author says writing his first-ever novel helped him to get over depression.
Glyn Smith-Wild is preparing to launch his debut novel Sanctuary, which has taken just over two years to produce.
“It was quite an amazing experience. I didn’t know how to start,” he says. “All of a sudden the characters really started to jump out onto the pages.”
The tale of mystery and romance has been self-published by Glyn who has lived in Honiton for 25 years.
You may also want to watch:
It follows the story of Ben Coverdale who takes the opportunity to fulfil his dream of moving to France, but his past soon catches up with him.
Glyn told the Midweek Herald that, prior to writing his book, he had been suffering from a nasty period of depression which was made worse by a car accident.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Property of the Week: Windmill Cottage, Honiton
- 3 Hippos and Tigers progress before derby night
- 4 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 5 Mum and daughter to have their hair chopped for charity
- 6 Honiton man jailed for two years for voyeurism
- 7 Beer Albion edge Colyton in local showdown
- 8 Wildwood Escot ready for a frighteningly good October half term
- 9 Backing for plan to launch parkruns for young athletes
- 10 Cranbrook prevail in local derby
However, he was inspired to start writing by fellow dog walker Joan Young who he met whilst walking his dog Faith.
“It really did take my mind off of the depression. I had never really been through it before and it just closes in on you,” says Glyn.
“I felt surrounded by dark clouds but this did lift it all as I had something else to occupy my mind.
“It was a tremendous help with the depression.”
Glyn says he is now over his depression and would encourage anybody to get into writing.
He has already started writing his second novel – a sequel to his book.
“I just hope people read it and enjoy it.
“It is a mixed bag – there is something for everyone,” he added.
A special launch will be held on Tuesday, May 29, at The Holt, from 7pm to 9pm. It will be available to buy online at Amazon.