Devon Freewheelers appeals for winter aid
- Credit: Archant
As colder weather draws in, the charity needs more help than ever.
A vital voluntary courier service that delivers crucial medical supplies to Devon’s NHS hospitals is asking local businesses and community organisations for a helping hand during the winter months.
Devon Freewheelers says that it experiences a drop-off in fundraising at this time of year, as many of its supporter events are held outdoors in spring and summer.
However, this is the season when the service needs more support than ever.
Operations director Neil Gardner said: “With worsening road conditions over the winter there are, sadly, more accidents, and the call for our services to courier blood in particular increases.
You may also want to watch:
“Unfortunately our fundraising opportunities – including biker rallies and open-air events – diminish, and this puts a strain on our already stretched finances.
“We are hoping that more businesses will display one of our collection tins on their reception desks.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
“We are also appealing for community groups to organise coffee mornings to help raise funds. Every penny raised helps us to keep the bikes on the road and get the lifesaving deliveries to the hospitals as quickly as possible.”
If your business is willing to put a collecting tin on display, or you are involved with a community group that can hold a fundraising coffee morning, contact Devon Freewheelers on 0300 8000105, or email email@example.com.