Diamond wedding celebrations for Honiton couple
Jean and Vick Wood celebrate a milestone after their paths crossed in Essex.
Jean, 77, and Vick Wood, 85, of Cypress Close, who have lived in Honiton for 22 years, married on October 15, 1951, in Epping, Essex after their paths crossed at Debden Station in Essex at the end of 1949, where Vick worked as a ticket collector.
Jean told the Midweek Herald that she would regularly see Vick when she travelled to work every week.
“We just got talking to each other. I saw him several times a week and we started talking about the weather and that was the start of it,” says Jean.
To celebrate their anniversary, the couple were joined by family and friends and enjoyed an evening of skittles at the Heathfield Inn.
You may also want to watch:
The couple, who have seven children, 14 grandchildren and two great grandchildren, hope to have many more happy years together.
“You have got to work at a marriage,” adds Jean.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Old Webster's site car park to be re-opened and run by council
- 3 Hippos beaten by a penalty at Okehampton
- 4 New exhibition for well known local ceramicist
- 5 Property of the Week: Sidmouth Road, Rousdon
- 6 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 7 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 8 Council lobbies Government on behalf of young people
- 9 Colyton cyclist at age 82 rides the Gridiron 100 for Parkinson's UK
- 10 Village youngsters excited by opening of new pump track
“It means a terrific amount to celebrate our diamond wedding anniversary because not many people reach that stage. We are very lucky.”