Disabled can now take a ride on the wild side
Special mobility scooter is being funded for use at Seaton’s Wetlands
Money is being made available to provide a mobility scooter so disabled people can explore Seaton’s Wetlands.
East Devon District Council’s Countryside team has been awarded £850 from the county council’s locality budget.
The award will fund the lease of its Tramper off-road mobility scooter for the coming year.
Seaton Councillor Jim Knight, who approved the grant, said: “It gives me great pleasure in supporting the countryside team in their endeavours to make sure people with a disability can access our lovely Seaton Wetlands. I am confident that this off-road mobility scooter will raise their spirits.”
You may also want to watch:
The Tramper is leased from Living Options Devon, whose Countryside Mobility Scheme provides Trampers for hire across the South West. Using the vehicle allows a whole new world to open up for people with limited mobility, who may previously have been unable to accompany family or friends exploring the countryside.
Now, thanks to the award, they will be able to enjoy the pathways around Black Hole Marsh, have a picnic in the pond shelter or watch wildlife from the Discovery Hut or Island hide.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Football in support of mental health
- 9 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 10 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
A full launch for the Tramper is anticipated in the summer.
In the meantime it is available to hire at Seaton Wetlands with advance booking – please call 01395 517557 or email Countryside@eastdevon.gov.uk for more information.