District council coalition talks ‘ongoing’ says East Devon Alliance leader
- Credit: Archant/Paul Arnott
Paul Arnott, leader of the Independent East Devon Alliance, said they are in talks with other independent councillors over the formation of the council
Discussions over the formation of the district council are ongoing according to the leader of the Independent East Devon Alliance (IEDA).
Paul Arnott, councillor for Coly Valley, has welcomed the decision by the Liberal Democrats to 'support the formation of an independent-led administration'.
There are now 11 IEDA councillors at East Devon District Council and a partnership with the independent group, which has 20 councillors, would give the coalition overall control of the council.
The Liberal Democrats said they are not interested in forming a coalition with any other parties or groups.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Arnott said: "We were very pleased to be told by the Liberal Democrats that they would be prepared to support the formation of an Independent-led administration.
"As Independent East Devon Alliance councillors we have principles based on accountability, democracy and transparency.
- 1 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 2 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 5 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 9 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 10 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
"We believe we were all elected to run the council to the highest standards while also reforming its governance from the outset.
"We are currently in discussions with other independents about how best to deliver this."