Dog killed in conservatory fire

PUBLISHED: 16:26 02 January 2013



Charmouth crew help to tackle major farm blaze - fire chiefs say smoke alarms enabled family to escape

Charmouth firefighters joined crews from Bridport and Beaminster to fight a major blaze on New Year’s Day which claimed the life of a dog.

Although they extinguished the conservatory fire at Barbridge Farm, Melplash, using breathing apparatus and hose reels, this wasn’t enough to save the contents or a relative’s pet.

However, by having a good night time routine and closing all internal doors in the property, the fire was contained to the conservatory. Although a small amount of smoke entered the main house and set off the smoke alarms, the occupants were awaken and left the property safely.

Now Dorset fire chiefs are reminding residents that smoke alarms save lives.

Group Manager Alun Morgan said: “Working smoke detectors supported by closing internal doors helps to secure the families exit route until the fire and rescue service arrive.

“It is vital all none essential electrical items are unplugged before retiring for the night, similarly candles must always be extinguished before leaving them unattended.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald