‘Don’t let firework injuries rocket’
Police urge members of the public to stay safe when using fireworks.
Police in Honiton are urging members of the public to take care and don’t let firework injuries rocket this year.
According to figures more children than adults get injured by fireworks every year.
PC Clive Vickery from Honiton Police Station said: “We want everyone to have an enjoyable fireworks night but remember that fireworks are dangerous and need to be handled properly, in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
“Sparklers are really popular but can easily cause burns so please follow our advice when using them.
You may also want to watch:
“Make a note of our top tips on staying safe and putting on your own display. Let fireworks night be one to remember for the right reasons.”
Adults are urged to supervise young children when using sparklers and never give them to a child under five. Ensure gloves are worn and put used sparklers into a bucket of sand or water.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 10 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert
Devon and Cornwall Police has issued the following tips for staying safe:
• Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them.
• Never throw used fireworks, paraffin or petrol, on a bonfire.
• Take care around bonfires, especially keeping clothing away.
• Make sure bonfires are out and surroundings are safe before leaving.
• Misfired or partly used fireworks should be soaked in a container of water and the manufacturer should be contacted for advice on disposal.
• Keep pets indoors as most animals are scared by the bright lights and noise.