Society no longer values teachers, says Lyme head
- Credit: Archant
Dr Richard Steward says it’s become a feature of the national culture that no one seems to value the profession.
The head of Lyme’s Woodroffe School, who is standing down after criticising parents for lack of support, says teachers are no longer valued by society.
In a letter announcing his plans to take early retirement Dr Richard Steward said: “One of the reasons is due to the lack of support I feel parents have shown the school during my time here.
“I am sorry to say that the positive letters I have received from parents over the years would fit neatly into a small ring binder whereas the letters of complaint would easily fill several large filing cabinets.
“I understand that this is a feature of our national culture nowadays but I would urge you to be supportive as possible of the new leadership team when it takes over from next September.”
You may also want to watch:
Further explaining his comments he said today: “I was concerned to ensure that the new head is fully supported by parents and the community.
“I did point out that during my time in the post, like all headteachers, I have had hundreds of complaints from anxious parents, often about trivial matters, and very few positive comments. I have always found this surprising given the undoubted successes of the school.
- 1 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 2 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 3 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 4 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 5 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 10 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
“I think this is a feature of our national culture nowadays which seems not to value teachers and the teaching profession in general. Since my letter, however, I have had dozens of letters of support.”