Dunkeswell man’s seizure caused by stress of waiting for bus that never arrived

PUBLISHED: 17:10 20 December 2017

Stagecoach have said they are investigating the matter. Picture: Contributed

Stagecoach have said they are investigating the matter. Picture: Contributed

Archant

Phylip de la Maziere said he had to endure freezing wind and rain while he waiting outside Honiton Tesco for a replacement bus last Wednesday.

A disabled man has slammed Stagecoach after he had a ‘massive seizure’ after waiting three hours for a bus that never arrived.

Phylip de la Maziere, from Dunkeswell, said he had to endure freezing wind and rain while he waited outside Honiton Tesco for a replacement bus last Wednesday.

The original bus, the number 20 from Seaton, was due to depart at noon but a puncture meant a replacement vehicle was sent from Stagecoach’s Exeter depot.

However, according to Mr de la Maziere, it never arrived and he said that he was told later by passengers who had been on the bus that the route had been changed because no one wanted to get off at Tesco.

But Mr de la Maziere, 64, said: “Just because someone does not want to get off the bus at Tesco, it does not mean someone would not be waiting for it.”

The retired hypnotherapist, of Tower Way, is registered disabled due to a head injury he sustained in 2007. His disability means he experiences seizures when he is over-stressed.

Mr de la Maziere said he and four other passengers – two elderly ladies and a mother and child - were waiting for the bus, and everyone but him cut short their wait due to the wintry conditions.

He added: “The ladies were physically shaking with cold – and they ended up disappearing.

“I stood at that bus stop for three hours in the freezing cold waiting for a bus that was supposed to show up but never did.”

Despite calling up Stagecoach and being assured that the bus was due to arrive at his stop shortly, Mr de la Maziere said it did not turn up.

Eventually he boarded another number 20 bus at 3.45pm, but when he got home he said he had a ‘massive seizure’ due to stress caused by his experience.

He is now demanding compensation from the bus operator in the form of a charitable donation.

A Stagecoach spokesman said: “We have been in touch with the customer regarding this incident and would like to once again offer our apologies for the problems he experienced.

“We are investigating what went wrong and, at the customer’s behest, have already agreed a donation to the charity of his choice.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Midweek Herald