East Devon green waste collection service to launch soon
- Credit: Archant
Residents will be able to have their garden waste taken away every fortnight for less than £2 per collection
East Devon Council is going ahead with plans to introduce a district-wide chargeable green waste collection service this year.
The authority is working with its partners SUEZ UK to provide fortnightly collections for residents across the EDDC area.
Residents have been asking for a reliable district-wide service of this kind for some time.
The district council has now approved the proposals and the waste collection service is expected to be introduced during the Spring of this year.
You may also want to watch:
Many councils across the country now successfully operate a chargeable green waste collection service and East Devon says it is keen to continue to further improve and modernise its recycling and waste service by introducing this new initiative.
The new service will cost householders £48 a year, with an introductory offer of a free 240ltr green bin.
- 1 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 4 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 5 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 6 Rural Proofing response will be guided by Labour’s motion says Cabinet at Devon County Council
- 7 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 8 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 9 How you can help your children keep up with studying
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
For less than £2 per collection, green waste will be taken away from the kerbside of residents’ homes each fortnight – ‘easy, reliable, recycled’, says the council.
The service is not being subsidised by the council tax payer.
Cllr Tom Wright, the council’s portfolio holder for the environment, told the Midweek Herald: “We have listened carefully to the many residents who have been asking us to expand our recycling collections service to include a reliable green waste collection from the kerbside and we’re confident our new service will do just that.
“For less than a cup of coffee in a café we can collect your green garden waste every fortnight. People who currently take their green waste to a recycling centre by car will save on fuel and time as the council’s special collections will be so much more convenient. It really is very good value for money.”
If you would like to register an interest in the service, residents should visit the website at: www.eastdevon.gov.uk/green <http://track.vuelio.uk.com/z.z?l=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5lYXN0ZGV2b24uZ292LnVrL2dyZWVu&r=10932492221&d=5572595&p=1&t=h&h=37248f1cddcf0b001f070e79968e2be8
Alternatively local residents are advised that they can call the East Devon District Council’s customer services line at its Sidmouth headquarters on 01395 571515. The district council will then contact those residents nearer the time with details on how to subscribe to the new green waste service.