Electric blanket safety warning

PUBLISHED: 13:05 17 October 2011

Archant

40 per cent of all electric blankets fail checks according to Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service.

With electric blankets causing more than 250 fires a year, Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service are offering free safety checks to avoid any fire hazards this winter.

Community safety officer Carol Frances said: “In previous years, 40 per cent of all blankets we have tested have failed the checks. Faulty electric blankets can cause serious fires but they can be prevented by taking the right precautions and having them tested.

Outdated safety marks, scorch marks, frayed ends and damaged wires are all symptoms of a safety hazard.

People are advised to read safety instructions, avoid old or second-hand blankets as well as make sure neither they nor the blanket are wet when it is in use.

Blankets should be cool before being loosely folded or rolled and stored in a cool dry place away from moth-proofing chemicals.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald