Electric blanket safety warning
40 per cent of all electric blankets fail checks according to Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service.
With electric blankets causing more than 250 fires a year, Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service are offering free safety checks to avoid any fire hazards this winter.
Community safety officer Carol Frances said: “In previous years, 40 per cent of all blankets we have tested have failed the checks. Faulty electric blankets can cause serious fires but they can be prevented by taking the right precautions and having them tested.
Outdated safety marks, scorch marks, frayed ends and damaged wires are all symptoms of a safety hazard.
People are advised to read safety instructions, avoid old or second-hand blankets as well as make sure neither they nor the blanket are wet when it is in use.
You may also want to watch:
Blankets should be cool before being loosely folded or rolled and stored in a cool dry place away from moth-proofing chemicals.
- 1 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 2 Double-header for Honiton juniors against Cullompton
- 3 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 4 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 5 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 6 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 7 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 8 Local Football Results
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 Sky's the limit for popular artist as new exhibition opens