'Electrifying' gift in Lyme Regis

PUBLISHED: 14:11 08 June 2009 | UPDATED: 23:38 15 June 2010

Western Power Distribution (WPD) presented the Trust with the sign

Western Power Distribution (WPD) presented the Trust with the sign

LYME Regis Town Mill Trust received an electricity warning sign gift to mark 100 years of the energy in the town. Western Power Distribution (WPD) presented the Trust with what is thought to be one of the only remaining warning signs. David Withers, Pr

LYME Regis Town Mill Trust received an electricity warning sign gift to mark 100 years of the energy in the town.

Western Power Distribution (WPD) presented the Trust with what is thought to be one of the only remaining 'warning signs.'

David Withers, Property Manager for WPD, SAID: "Prior to nationalisation in 1947, many towns in the South West had their own electricity undertakings. These included major cities such as Bristol, Bath, Exeter and Plymouth, but also included much smaller locations like Chudleigh, Lynton and Lyme Regis, which became the first town in Dorset to have electricity in 1909."

He explained that in Lyme Regis, the diesel generating set was housed in the old malt house, which passed to the South Western Electricity Board on Nationalisation.

The Trust carried out successful restoration of the Mill next to the malthouse. WPD was then approached for the extra part of the malthouse, which was completed in March.

David added: "It seemed a fitting tribute to the work of the Trust to donate the original warning sign to them so that it could be located in its rightful place at the Mill.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Midweek Herald

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists