National award for Seaton Chess Club
- Credit: Archant
Seaton Chess Club made all the right moves to win a national award.
It has been named Small Club of the Year by the English Chess Federation.
The club's secretary, Paul Hampton, said: "Seaton Chess Club has been running for more than 50 years but due to dwindling numbers and finances, there was a real possibility that it could have folded at its last AGM.
"However, in the last year, the club has enjoyed something of a renaissance, reinvigorated by some of the younger members who have joined."
Team captain Hazel Welch received the trophy during the British Chess Championship, which was hosted in Devon this year.
You may also want to watch:
The club has been recognised for its support for female players, development of junior players, promoting the game within the local community and for supporting chess at county level.
Mrs Welch said: "We are a friendly club and would be happy for new members to join us. We meet every Wednesday at the Gateway in Seaton at 6.30pm.
- 1 More grants dished out to groups providing crisis support
- 2 Campaigners hope talks will save public access to medieval manor house
- 3 Town's traders hope for recovery boost from Chancellor
- 4 'Vote for the strongest opposition candidate in your ward'
- 5 Rotarians announce major online auction
- 6 Honiton town council confirms Beehive car park changes
- 7 Sunday parking charge for Honiton, Axminster and Ottery
- 8 Seaton needs to 'gear up' for life after Covid
- 9 Seaton and Beer say farewell to vicar and his family
- 10 New blueprint for rail travel in East Devon
"Whatever the standard, we have members at all levels to play against."
For more details about the club, contact Mr Hampton on 07711 519655 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit the club's website at www.seatonchessclub.co.uk for more information.