Ensure a large auditorium
I thoroughly approve of the principle of a community centre for Honiton. But, if it is to attract performing arts and cultural interests, it must, repeat must, have a sufficiently large performance auditorium.
I thoroughly approve of the principle of a community centre for Honiton.
But, if it is to attract performing arts and cultural interests, it must, repeat must, have a sufficiently large performance auditorium.
This needs to seat an audience of at least 400 people and provide stage space for a choral group of 100 singers. I am a member of such a group and performance venues are difficult to come by!
We crammed 120 singers and an audience of 360 into St Andrew's Church, Cullompton.
Such a size would also accommodate promenade or stage dramatic performances.
The site should not reduce town centre parking - Heathpark must have spare room.
- 1 Candidates lining up to replace Neil Parish in Tiverton and Honiton
- 2 Hobby cannabis grower from Axminster busted after he 'got greedy'
- 3 Honiton's oldest paper-boy retires
- 4 Landlord jailed for 'groping barmaids' trying to stuff wages down their tops
- 5 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 6 'Something for everyone' as Axe Vale Show returns to Axminster
- 7 Vintage Sports Cars grace the Wiscombe Park track
- 8 New Repair Cafe to open in Honiton next month
- 9 Neil Parish wont stand in Honiton and Tiverton by-election
- 10 Peco propose new storage and multimedia centre
The large hall could be partitioned into smaller units if not required in its entirety.
Failure to provide adequate performing space would reduce the centre to a town centre village hall". We have several village halls and the whole scheme would, therefore, become an expensive white elephant Please bear these remarks in mind and ensure suitable siting, which will not affect the already inadequate town parking - and allow large performance space.
Such a complex could only attract desirable interest and cultural improvement and, dare I suggest, trade to the town.
C J Niles (Mr)