Ensure a large auditorium
I thoroughly approve of the principle of a community centre for Honiton. But, if it is to attract performing arts and cultural interests, it must, repeat must, have a sufficiently large performance auditorium.
I thoroughly approve of the principle of a community centre for Honiton.
But, if it is to attract performing arts and cultural interests, it must, repeat must, have a sufficiently large performance auditorium.
This needs to seat an audience of at least 400 people and provide stage space for a choral group of 100 singers. I am a member of such a group and performance venues are difficult to come by!
We crammed 120 singers and an audience of 360 into St Andrew's Church, Cullompton.
You may also want to watch:
Such a size would also accommodate promenade or stage dramatic performances.
The site should not reduce town centre parking - Heathpark must have spare room.
- 1 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 2 Community unites to back historic market town charter celebration
- 3 Come and join us at village fayre, say organisers
- 4 Pennies from heaven! Crowds prove it's still the hottest ticket in town
- 5 Amazing ultra challenges for Axe Valley Runners
- 6 Flower show is back after two-year break
- 7 Fantastic return for the Seaton Parkrun
- 8 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
- 9 A tale of two cities made more accessible by air
- 10 Your chance to be crowned top artist
The large hall could be partitioned into smaller units if not required in its entirety.
Failure to provide adequate performing space would reduce the centre to a town centre village hall". We have several village halls and the whole scheme would, therefore, become an expensive white elephant Please bear these remarks in mind and ensure suitable siting, which will not affect the already inadequate town parking - and allow large performance space.
Such a complex could only attract desirable interest and cultural improvement and, dare I suggest, trade to the town.
C J Niles (Mr)