Everyone encouraged to vote in Honiton town poll
It is decision time for residents.
IRRESPECTIVE of a squeeze on public spending, it is important that Honiton Town Council is given a clear guide to the level of support for a new community centre.
That is why everyone is being urged to take part in Thursday’s town poll.
The poll, which will take place between 4pm and 9pm at the usual polling stations, has been called by the public following a meeting requested by six electors.
Voters will be asked if the town council should proceed with the project – yes or no.
“It is important that we get a fair reflection of how people feel about it,” said town clerk Lyn Hargood.
Her sentiments have been echoed by Ken Sherman, chairman of the Northcote Lane Area Residents’ Association.
- 1 Gittsham motorist 'so drunk he had to be carried out of car'
- 2 Towns join forces to promote green tourism
- 3 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 4 By-election result proves East Devon is not as 'true blue' as people thought
- 5 Axminster vehicle extravaganza hailed 'great day out'
- 6 Woman seriously injured after motorway bridge fall
- 7 Simon Jupp calls for Prime Minister's resignation
- 8 Stark warning on spending from Devon finance chief
- 9 Serious accident closes A35 in both directions
- 10 Church recital at Broadhembury
“It is your town, your money and your decision,” he said.
“For or against, please vote. A good turnout means a decisive result.”
Mr Sherman believes the location of the proposed building, off Dowell Street, could have a bearing on how people vote, along with the loss of at least 40 parking spaces behind Lace Walk shopping centre.
HONITON Register Office will return to the town centre, if the proposed Honiton Community Centre complex is built.
The registrar has confirmed the service wants to move to the new building from East Devon Business Centre.
“It will mean that we could have marriage ceremonies in the town centre again,” said town clerk Lyn Hargood.
“Part of the building is being designed to meet the registrar’s specifications.”