Excitement brews as Honiton Hot Pennies awaits
- Credit: Archant
Honiton’s famous Hot Pennies ceremony is returning for another year.
The first lot of lukewarm pennies will be thrown at noon from The Volunteer on July 24 after a cry by Dave Retter, town crier.
The route will then take participants to the Holt, back up the high street to Beviss and Beckingsale and the Three Tuns pub.
The ceremony will come to a close at Peter Betteridge - Your Bed Expert, where the glove will be raised after a cry from Mr Retter.
This year’s Hot Pennies is being sponsered by Beviss and Beckingsale, Honiton Town Council and Honiton and District Chamber of Commerce. Mr Retter will also carry out a cry at Beviss and Beckingsale.
He said: “For me, this is the most exciting time of the year. I have grown up with Hot Pennies.
“I used to get pocketfuls when I was an eight-year-old.
- 1 'Graffiti vandals' target Honiton skate park
- 2 Bestiality video found on jailed drug dealer's phone
- 3 Motorcyclist dies after crash on A35 near Axminster
- 4 Drivers advised to plan journeys as A35 landslip work begins
- 5 Taxidermy alligator set to go under the hammer in Honiton
- 6 Devon's newest MP raises issue of rural fuel duty in parliament
- 7 Plan for 18-METRE 5G mast in Honiton submitted
- 8 Serious accident closes A35 in both directions
- 9 Delays on Sidmouth road for Devon County Show
- 10 Former Seaton bank to become shop
“To be town crier, carrying out the ceremony, is an absolute privilege.”