Excitement brews as Honiton Hot Pennies awaits
- Credit: Archant
Honiton’s famous Hot Pennies ceremony is returning for another year.
The first lot of lukewarm pennies will be thrown at noon from The Volunteer on July 24 after a cry by Dave Retter, town crier.
The route will then take participants to the Holt, back up the high street to Beviss and Beckingsale and the Three Tuns pub.
The ceremony will come to a close at Peter Betteridge - Your Bed Expert, where the glove will be raised after a cry from Mr Retter.
This year’s Hot Pennies is being sponsered by Beviss and Beckingsale, Honiton Town Council and Honiton and District Chamber of Commerce. Mr Retter will also carry out a cry at Beviss and Beckingsale.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “For me, this is the most exciting time of the year. I have grown up with Hot Pennies.
“I used to get pocketfuls when I was an eight-year-old.
- 1 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 2 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 3 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 4 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 5 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 9 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 10 East Devon MPs 'reluctantly agree' on Lockdown Three
“To be town crier, carrying out the ceremony, is an absolute privilege.”