Exmouth’s Christmas Day swim - pictures
- Credit: Archant
The festive season in East Devon always sees the more daring among us to rush into the sea. See our pictures from Exmouth on Christmas Day
Hardy swimmers were cheered on by onlookers as they took the plunge for Exmouth’s annual Christmas day dip.
The swim – a firm favourite on Exmouth’s calendar – attracts hundreds of people each year to watch or take part.
Swimmers, many clad in fancy dress, braved the cold to plunge into the icy water before heading back up the beach to get warm.
Exmouth’s Christmas day swim started in the 1960s, when keen sportsman Ken Cunningham invited five friends - Peter Horne, Stan Jordan, Nick Hockings, David Hart and Miss Ireland - to take a festive dip.
You may also want to watch:
Photos by Terry Ife
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 5 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 6 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020