Feniton Parish Council says ‘no’ to 50 homes plan
Feniton Parish Council urge residents to lodge their objections.
A Feniton parish councillor fears plans for a development of 50 homes could turn the village into a town.
The council met last Wednesday to discuss an application being put forward by Wainhomes (South West) Holdings Ltd, which is seeking permission to build 50 homes with associated roads, sewers, landscaping, parking and garages.
The application also seeks to provide allotments, a play area and a community building on land adjacent to Louvigny Close, Station Road.
At the planning meeting councillors voted unanimously to reject the application on the grounds of the village’s existing problems, including the inadequate infrastructure, lack of car parking, flooding and drainage, as well as the impact on services and facilities.
Councillor Nick Spence said: “Currently, we have a village but, if we let them build outside the existing planning line, we will end up having a town.”
East Devon District Council has allocated 35 homes to be built in the village as part of the local plan for the next 15 years.
- 1 Man from Seaton dies after crash on Friday
- 2 The East Devon town being labelled a success despite the lack of a town centre
- 3 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 4 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 5 Jack's legacy helps fund vital brain tumour research
- 6 'Variant is a stark reminder pandemic isn't over'
- 7 Karate club members push their limits for charity
- 8 Where to see Santa's sleigh in Honiton
- 9 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 10 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route
He added: “If we have got to accommodate 35 homes in that time, developers need to put all the other problems right.
“I am against it.”
Councillor Martyn Smith urged residents to lodge their objections to ensure the application was stopped in its tracks.
He said: “The parish council is unanimous in offering opposition to this. We will put in this view, but it is just one view of many. If that is the only view, it won’t hold much sway so the only way we will get anywhere is for everybody to log their own objections.
“It is absolutely essential we don’t sit back and think we have done our bit.”
The meeting also heard that 300 objections had been lodged to an outline planning application for up to 120 new homes in Ottery Road, submitted by Strategic Land Partnership.
The application was due to be discussed by East Devon District Council today (Tuesday) and has been recommended for refusal.