Feniton says ‘no’ to Ottery Road develoment
PUBLISHED: 12:00 29 October 2011
Residents urged to lodge their objections to plans for 120 new homes.
FENITON parish councillors made a unanimous stand and last week said ‘no’ to proposals for 120 new homes in the village.
Residents packed into the village hall to air their objections at a planning meeting last Thursday.
The application, submitted by the Strategic Land Partnership, has requested outline planning permission for up to 120 residential dwellings including associated employment floor space and community space, together with associated public open space, play space and infrastructure.
Councillor Martyn Smith said: “We will make it very clear to East Devon District Council that we oppose this. It is up to you to lodge your comments.
Councillor Nick Spence added: “We need to try and stop it in its tracks.”
During the meeting residents voiced their concerns over the proposed development, which included problems such as the inadequate infrastructure, lack of car parking, flooding and drainage as well as the impact on services and facilities, which they said were already at capacity.
Resident John Tregoning said: “This is grade two agricultural land that is vital for food production. This site will negate sustainable farming.
“They are putting the wrong things in the wrong places and we need to make sure the right things are in the right places.”
Another resident said: “They (Strategic Land Partnership) are not the people that are going to be building the houses. They are going to sell on the land, once they have got planning permission, to other people. These other people have the option of putting in applications for much more.
“If people allow them to get outline planning permission, this is the start - we will get density almost like you see on The Signals. This is the wrong development in the wrong place.”
Residents also questioned whether schools would be able to cope with a new influx of people and if there would be enough people to support a proposed new shop as well as the existing one. The meeting heard that East Devon District Council had received 38 objections to the proposals.
County councillor Roger Giles said: “I would urge them to refuse it. All sorts of services are at capacity already.
“We are lucky enough to have two excellent school’s - Feniton Primary and The King’s School - both are at capacity.
“Coleridge Medical Centre is also at capacity. The sewage system is no good and the area is subject to flooding – there are real problems.
“I don’t understand how they can develop homes in Feniton without addressing those problems first.”
He also raised concerns over the poor rail and bus services as well as the poor road network.
The meeting also heard that the local plan for Feniton outlined that there should only be 35 houses developed in the village over the next 15 years.
Feniton Parish Council voted unanimously to oppose the proposal and urged residents to lodge their objections as soon as possible.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.