Sidmouth Folk Festival and Honiton Show – pictures from back in the day
- Credit: Archant
Taking a look back in the archives to significant occasions in East Devon.
August in East Devon sees two significant occasions take place each year - the Honiton Show and Sidmouth Folk Festival.
Both events attract thousands of visitors each year and have long historical roots.
In the case of Honiton Show, it was first held in 1890 and focuses on the agricultural side of life in the area.
Sidmouth Folk Festival doesn't go back quite as far, having first been held in 1955, but it is still eagerly awaited each year by enthusiasts.
You may also want to watch:
Both events have seen a huge amount of change over the years, as they have adapted to changes in society.
Here we take a pictorial look back at both. In the case of Sidmouth Folk Festival, held during the first week of the month, we look back at 1972, which was a very different time in terms of technology but the love of folk music among enthusiasts was just as strong.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 5 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 6 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 7 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 8 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 9 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 10 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
And for the Honiton Show, which is held on the first Thursday in August, we re-produce pictures from 1995, not so long ago but still markedly different when it comes to what technology was used.
To read more features from East Devon Resident, click here.