Fewer victims of crime in rural East Devon
Overall crime across East Devon fell by just under 18 per cent compared to the previous year. Inspector Antonia Weeks said: In real terms, this means at least 400 less victims of crime across rural East Devon.
Overall crime across East Devon fell by just under 18 per cent compared to the previous year.
Inspector Antonia Weeks said: "In real terms, this means at least 400 less victims of crime across rural East Devon.
"The biggest reductions were in assaults (-25 per cent), harassment (-20 per cent) and burglaries to homes which saw a massive 27 per cent reduction, or 44 less burglaries.
"Vehicle crime also reduced, with 22 less thefts of vehicles than last year. Our biggest crime by volume, criminal damage, also dropped by 17 per cent."
You may also want to watch:
Inspector Weeks added: "Serious assaults rose from 11 offences to 15, but here we achieved a 100 per cent detection rate - ensuring that those responsible for such serious offences are brought to justice.
"Overall we detected just under 30 per cent of all reported crime, with many more positive outcomes in the form of restorative justice, a powerful and victim focussed approach to dealing with offenders.
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 7 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 8 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 9 Holocaust Memorial Day to be marked in virtual ceremony
- 10 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
"These figures support the perception of East Devon as a safe place to live and work and I am pleased that the work we have put into neighbourhood policing and a locally delivered service are reflected in a reduction in crime.
"However, I am also aware that statistics are only part of the overall picture..