Figures reveal a big drop in crime

PUBLISHED: 18:30 10 December 2014

Archant

‘Reassuring drop’ said PCSO Steve Mingo

Monthly crime figures for Honiton have shown a ‘reassuring’ drop of almost 40 per cent.

Between Tuesday, November 11, and Monday, December 8, 22 offences were recorded by police.

This is against 36 for the same period in 2013 - a drop of 14 crimes.

Of the offences committed, three cases of criminal damage were recorded - one to a building and two to vehicles.

There were also four cases of common assault, two of which have been resolved by restorative justice.

Police also recorded three cases of actual bodily harm.

The offenders were known to the victim on two occasions.

An incident resulting in grievous bodily harm was also recorded, as were two burglaries of dwellings. Another burglary of a dwelling was attempted, but the offender could not successfully gain entry.

A case of telephone fraud was also reported, which has been investigated under Operation Fardel - the police force’s response to telephone fraud.

The remaining crimes included two communication act offences, three possessions of a controlled drug (namely cannabis) and two thefts by finding.

Honiton PCSO Steve Mingo said: “It is reassuring to see crime drop by just over a third for this period compared to the same time last year.

“We hope to see this trend continue over the festive period.”

If you witness a crime, call police on 101, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

For regular police updates, check out www.devon-cornwall.police.uk


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald