Microwave oven fire at Axminster flat

PUBLISHED: 07:30 22 January 2020

Axminster fire engine

Axminster fire engine

Archant

A meal which caught alight in a microwave oven at Axminster was extinguished by firefighters who plunged it into a bucket of water.

The Axminster crew was called to the kitchen blaze at a flat in Minster Court sheltered accommodation in West Street at around 6.30pm on Monday, January 20.

They had received a call from Careline which monitors the alarms for the premises.

Shortly after arriving and investigating the cause of the alarm, the crew located the source of the smoke to a small fire within a microwave.

Not only were the contents of the microwave 100 per cent damaged by fire but the appliance sustained 50 per cent fire damage, too.

The fire was extinguished after the contents were submerged in a bucket of water and removed outside, before making the appliance and scene safe.

There were no casualties or further fire spread, but firefighters reassured the residents and offered some fire safety advice before leaving.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Midweek Herald