Fire safety warning

PUBLISHED: 16:14 18 November 2010

Emergency Fire Services�

Emergency Fire Services

Archant

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service are warning residents in East Devon to stay safe in the kitchen this Christmas.

DEVON and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service (DSFRS) is warning families to stay safe this Christmas in the kitchen.

The latest statistics within the Devon and Somerset area have shown that there has been a rise in cooking related fires.

The Group Manager Glenn Askew said: “A fire involving someone’s home is an absolutely devastating event that not only affects individuals and their families, but neighbours and members of the wider community.

“The impact of fire is often long lasting and cannot be underestimated”. He further states that “it is such a shame because most, if not all fires involving cooking, could be easily prevented.”

According to figures 40 per cent of accidental fires in the home are started by cooking.

To prevent fires when cooking make sure you are not distracted, turn the cooker off if the phone rings, and make sure tea towels and oven gloves are not hanging over the cooker.

Keep anything that can catch fire out of the way and ensure the oven, hob and grill are kept clean.

People should also ensure that their smoke alarm is working correctly.

For free home safety advice call 0800 73 11 822 or visit www.dsfire.gov.uk


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald