Fire safety warning
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service are warning residents in East Devon to stay safe in the kitchen this Christmas.
DEVON and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service (DSFRS) is warning families to stay safe this Christmas in the kitchen.
The latest statistics within the Devon and Somerset area have shown that there has been a rise in cooking related fires.
The Group Manager Glenn Askew said: “A fire involving someone’s home is an absolutely devastating event that not only affects individuals and their families, but neighbours and members of the wider community.
“The impact of fire is often long lasting and cannot be underestimated”. He further states that “it is such a shame because most, if not all fires involving cooking, could be easily prevented.”
You may also want to watch:
According to figures 40 per cent of accidental fires in the home are started by cooking.
To prevent fires when cooking make sure you are not distracted, turn the cooker off if the phone rings, and make sure tea towels and oven gloves are not hanging over the cooker.
- 1 Village pub landlord helps feed vulnerable members of community
- 2 Latest planning applications in East Devon
- 3 Property of the Week: The Manse, Seaton
- 4 British Legion branch appeals for help to avoid closure
- 5 Charity plant fair with plenty for gardeners and growers to enjoy
- 6 Time to remember work of the NHS - and a way you can help locally
- 7 Council takes pride in flag outside headquarters
- 8 Police performed largest security operation in the force’s history
- 9 Summer progress at Exeter City
- 10 Gallery initiatives invite us to talk about climate through outstanding art
Keep anything that can catch fire out of the way and ensure the oven, hob and grill are kept clean.
People should also ensure that their smoke alarm is working correctly.
For free home safety advice call 0800 73 11 822 or visit www.dsfire.gov.uk