Firefighters tackle accidental blaze at Axe Valley Academy

PUBLISHED: 22:21 29 November 2018 | UPDATED: 22:32 29 November 2018

Archant

Fire crews tackled a fire at Axe Valley Academy this evening after smoke was seen coming from one of the classrooms.

Crews from Axminster, Lyme Regis and Colyton responded to a call at 6.45pm, on Thursday, November 29.

In a statement from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue service, it said: “Fire appliances from Axminster, Lyme Regis and Colyton attended a college where smoke was issuing from a classroom.

“On arrival, crews donned breathing apparatus and entered the building with one hose reel jet.

“Breathing apparatus was increased to four on the arrival of further appliances.

“Crews used a positive pressure fan to clear smoke to enable firefighters to find the cause of the fire and extinguish it.

“This was found to be in a ground floor bathroom and was extinguished by crews.

“A thermal imaging camera was used to check for hot spots. The cause of the fire was deemed as accidental ignition.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Midweek Herald