Firefighters tackle blaze at historic Axminster mansion

PUBLISHED: 10:09 12 October 2016 | UPDATED: 10:12 12 October 2016

Axminster Fire Engine

Axminster Fire Engine

Archant

Curtains in a reception room catch alight at Coaxdon Hall

Firefighters from three towns were called to a fire at Coaxdon Hall, near Axminster, in the early hours of this morning (Wednesday, October 11).

Crews from Axminster, Chard and Lyme tackled the blaze in a downstairs reception room at the Grade 2 Listed Building, involving the curtains.

Using breathing apparatus, they managed to enter the property, extinguish the fire and remove the curtains from the property and out into the open.

Crews then set about ventilating the property using positive pressure ventilation fans.

The cause of fire was accidental. Crews left the scene at around 1am.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald