Final curtain for Forde Abbey Fair
- Credit: Archant
After more than 40 years – and having raised some £500,000 for charity - the annual Forde Abbey summer fair is to end.
Organisers announced this week that last July's event was the final one.
The popular fair, organised by the owners of the historic house, the Roper and Kennard family, with the help of a volunteer committee, has provided funds for many worthy causes.
This year, £26,000 was raised and shared between two charities - Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institute (RABI) and Riding for the Disabled, including carriage driving (RDA).
Alice Kennard said: "We are immensely proud of what has been achieved but feel that the fair has run its course and to stop it while it is at the top of its game is the right decision.
You may also want to watch:
"The family and the committee would like to express their sincere thanks to all the volunteers, the businesses and entertainers that have traded at the fair and the wider community who have supported the event over the years - your support is very much appreciated.
"We have thoroughly enjoyed working with everybody and in particularly working with and alongside the charities that we have supported."
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 7 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 8 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 9 Holocaust Memorial Day to be marked in virtual ceremony
- 10 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
On behalf of the charities, Pam Wills, from the RABI, said: "We have nothing but praise for the work and support that the Roper and Kennard family and the volunteers have given us over the years.
"The monies raised from the annual fair have been a vital contribution to the work of the charities involved."
The Forde Abbey estate is on the Devon and Dorset border, around five miles north of Hawkchurch.