Former Beatle’s ex-PR chief is a dab hand at selling fish
Lyme Regis-born Geoff Baker goes from Macca to Mackerel as he swaps rock for roe
The latest recruit to a thriving East Devon fresh fish business is more used to rock than roe.
Geoff Baker, who has joined the Old Watch House group, at its Ottery St Mary shop, was Sir Paul McCartney’s right-hand man for 15 years.
He was the former Beatle’s PR chief from 1989-2004 and also represented Linda McCartney, the ‘Fab Four’s’ company Apple Corps and the rock band Oasis.
“It’s a rich life going from Macca to mackerel,” said Geoff, 56, who is writing his memoirs in between working for the Lyme-based Old Watch House company.
After offering him the post of running the Ottery shop on Fridays and Saturdays, boss Simon Bennett and Ottery manager Toby Guest trained him in their style of traditional fresh fishmongery,
“I love it”, said Lyme-born Geoff, a former Fleet Street journalist, who spent his early years working on the Sidmouth Herald.
- 1 Caravan left 'severely damaged' by fire on A35
- 2 Aldi seeking approval for extension of former Coop site
- 3 Happy Hippos all set for Peninsula push
- 4 South West warning for drought issued
- 5 Kilmington driver admits injuring woman in Axminster crash
- 6 Outdoor fire in Lyme Regis
- 7 Honiton history: Four generations of the Hussey family auctions
- 8 Ottery St Mary - a shopping paradise
- 9 Seaton ladies storm into semi-finals of Top Club competition
- 10 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
“I’ve had a few gags from pals about me switching to The Ling And Winding Roe, Rubber Sole and that sort of thing, but I’m very happy if now I am the walrus.
“I’ve also had quite a few visits from people who have not seen a good old-fashioned fishmonger’s before, or at least not for 50 years, and they seem charmed by it.“
The expanding Old Watch House group now has shops in Lyme, Ottery, Kilmington and Exeter.
“Business is good and I’m pleased to welcome Geoff to our team,” said Mr Bennett. “I just hope that he doesn’t start playing sea bass guitar”.