Former Beatle’s ex-PR chief is a dab hand at selling fish
Lyme Regis-born Geoff Baker goes from Macca to Mackerel as he swaps rock for roe
The latest recruit to a thriving East Devon fresh fish business is more used to rock than roe.
Geoff Baker, who has joined the Old Watch House group, at its Ottery St Mary shop, was Sir Paul McCartney’s right-hand man for 15 years.
He was the former Beatle’s PR chief from 1989-2004 and also represented Linda McCartney, the ‘Fab Four’s’ company Apple Corps and the rock band Oasis.
“It’s a rich life going from Macca to mackerel,” said Geoff, 56, who is writing his memoirs in between working for the Lyme-based Old Watch House company.
You may also want to watch:
After offering him the post of running the Ottery shop on Fridays and Saturdays, boss Simon Bennett and Ottery manager Toby Guest trained him in their style of traditional fresh fishmongery,
“I love it”, said Lyme-born Geoff, a former Fleet Street journalist, who spent his early years working on the Sidmouth Herald.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Old Webster's site car park to be re-opened and run by council
- 3 New exhibition for well known local ceramicist
- 4 Village youngsters excited by opening of new pump track
- 5 Hippos beaten by a penalty at Okehampton
- 6 Property of the Week: Sidmouth Road, Rousdon
- 7 Honiton golfers braving the changing conditions
- 8 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 9 Colyton cyclist at age 82 rides the Gridiron 100 for Parkinson's UK
- 10 Lyme Regis Gig Club end season in style
“I’ve had a few gags from pals about me switching to The Ling And Winding Roe, Rubber Sole and that sort of thing, but I’m very happy if now I am the walrus.
“I’ve also had quite a few visits from people who have not seen a good old-fashioned fishmonger’s before, or at least not for 50 years, and they seem charmed by it.“
The expanding Old Watch House group now has shops in Lyme, Ottery, Kilmington and Exeter.
“Business is good and I’m pleased to welcome Geoff to our team,” said Mr Bennett. “I just hope that he doesn’t start playing sea bass guitar”.