Fundraiser at Feniton church to aid memorial work
- Credit: Archant
A BBC film maker is set to speak at a fundraising event in Feniton this month to support restoration work of the Patteson’s Cross landmark.
The memorial to Bishop John Coleridge Patteson, ‘Patteson’s Cross’, is just off the old A30.
The fundraising evening has been organised by the Ottery St Mary Heritage Society, and will be held this Friday (September 23) at St Andrew’s Church in Feniton, at 7pm.
Guest speaker and BBC producer Alex Leger will be talking about Patteson’s life.
Yesterday (Tuesday) marked 145 years since Patteson, who was from East Devon, was martyred on the island of Nukapu in the Solomon Islands.
You may also want to watch:
Today, Patteson is still held in very high regard across Melanesia as a compassionate missionary.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Football in support of mental health
- 9 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 10 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020