Fundraising trio to take on Sahara trek for Hospiscare
- Credit: Archant
A trio of friends from Honiton will be pushed out of their comfort zones when they tackle the scorching heat and sand dunes of the Sahara Desert to boost funds for Hospiscare.
Gemma Robertson, 23, Chloe Beavers, 21, and Rosanne Cooke, 22, will be taking part in the charity’s Sahara Trek in November and are already busy fundraising.
“It is a great cause - Hospiscare looks after people at a time when they need comfort the most, and it is a local charity,” says Chloe. “We have never done anything like this. It is going to be a massive challenge.”
Gemma added: “It’s going to be an incredible experience but a tough one too. We will be enduring high temperatures in the day, cold chills in the nights and trekking eight to nine hours a day. The highs of this experience definitely outweigh the lows though, and if we can raise money and awareness for Hospiscare, it will all be worth it.”
The friends, who all attended Honiton Community College, will be trekking across the desert over five days and camping overnight - a world away from their home comforts.
You may also want to watch:
Rosanne said: “It is really exciting and nerve wracking. At the moment we are really focused on doing the fundraising.
“We will be out of our comfort zones.”
- 1 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 2 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 3 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 4 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 5 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 6 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
Gemma, Chloe and Rosanne have a number of events planned to raise as much as they can for Hospiscare and held a quiz night in Wilmington, which raised £170. Local business supported the event - donating raffle prizes for the event.
They will be holding a fundraising bingo at the Mackarness Hall, Honiton, on Saturday, April 19, starting at 7.30pm. Followed by a cake stall in the town centre on Saturday, April 26.
Sponsor Gemma, Chloe and Rosanne by visit the following Just Giving links: